Redcliffe City is a municipal location north-northeast of Brisbane, the state capital of Queensland, Australia. Known also as "the Redcliffe Peninsula", the area covers the suburbs of Clontarf, Kippa-Ring, Margate, Newport, Redcliffe, Rothwell, Scarborough and Woody Point.
Redcliffe is home to over 55,000 residents over its total area of 38.1 km2 (14.7 sq mi). The peninsula is relatively flat with few areas rising more than 20 m (66 ft) above sea level.
The Redcliffe Peninsula was occupied by the indigenous Ningy Ningy people. The native name is Kau-in-Kau-in, which means Blood-Blood (red-like blood).
The area's first European visitors arrived on 17 July 1799, aboard the Norfolk, a British colonialsloop commanded by Matthew Flinders. Flinders explored the Moreton Bay area and landed at 10:30 a.m. at a location he called "Red Cliff Point", after the red-coloured cliffs visible from the bay, today called Woody Point.
In 1823, the Governor of New South Wales, Thomas Brisbane, instructed that a new northern penal settlement be developed, and an exploration party led by John Oxley further explored the Moreton Bay area. Oxley recommended Red Cliff Point for the new colony, reporting that ships could land at any tide and easily get close to the shore. 
The settlement, along the banks of what is now called Humpybong Creek in the Redcliffe central business district, consisted of small, temporary dwellings with gardens and vegetables planted. However the lack of a reliable water supply, attacks by Aboriginal people, large mosquito numbers, and insufficient facilities for safe anchorage  meant that the settlement needed to be moved after eight months. The settlement relocated to the banks of the Brisbane River at North Quay, 28 kilometres (17.4 mi) south. Redcliffe was then abandoned, with just a small number of dwellings remaining. Local Aboriginal people called these empty buildings "oompie bongs", anglicised to mean, in reverse, 'dead house', and the name was given to the entire Redcliffe peninsula.
The area was designated as an agricultural reserve in the 1860s, and residential development began in the 1880s. The population grew significantly after 1935 when the Hornibrook Bridge was opened; the two lane, 2.8 kilometres (1.7 mi) bridge crossed Bramble Bay and linked the peninsula with a more direct route to Brisbane. A replacement three lane bridge, the Houghton Highway, opened in 1979. On 11 July 2010 the new three lane , Ted Smout Memorial Bridge, opened, and at 2.7 kilometres (1.7 mi) is claimed to be Australia's longest. The bridge was named to honour Queensland's longest surviving World War 1 Digger. It provides south-bound traffic flow as well as pedestrian and bicycle access, while the Houghton Highway has become a dedicated north-bound traffic bridge.
In 2007 the Queensland Government's Local Government Reform Commission announced that Redcliffe would be amalgamated into the adjoining Pine Rivers and Caboolture shires to form the Moreton Bay Region.
Strathpine is a suburb north of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia in the local government area of Moreton Bay Region. It is home to the Pine Rivers District offices of the Moreton Bay Region as well as many businesses. The area contains a medium-sized Westfield shopping centre. Strathpine is a Scottish place name, it means a large valley with a river and pine trees.
The area now known as Strathpine was originally developed in the 1860s as an addition to the North Pine settlement during the Gympie gold rush. In the late 19th century, the area was known for sugar and rum production, with several sugar mills and distilleries in the area. The area was first named Strathpine by the Queensland Government Railways in the 1880s.
The population of the area boomed in the 1940s after the opening of a large army camp and airfield which helped both Australian and American forces during World War II. Development slowly increased until the 1960s when Brisbane's rapidly growing population expanded into the area. Most of the farms were sold off and the area quickly grew into a residential and commercial hub.
Growth continued into the 1980s and Westfield Strathpine opened on 22 August 1983. In recent years, the main road which passes through Strathpine (Gympie Road) has undergone gentrification or urban renewal. Gympie Road is tree-lined with trees of Pine species.
Over recent years the suburb has been becoming diverse, households that speak other languages than English has increased some of the most common being Samoan, Hindi, Tagalog, Mandarin and Filipino.
Caboolture is an urban centre approximately 44 kilometres (27 mi) north of Brisbane, the state capital of Queensland, Australia. Caboolture is considered to be the northernmost urban area of the greater Brisbane metropolitan region within South East Queensland, and it marks the end of the Brisbane suburban commuter railway service along the North Coast railway line. As at 30 June 2010, Caboolture had an estimated population of 46,882.
The Caboolture area is the traditional home of the Kabi Aboriginal people. The name "Kabultur" is derived from the Yugarabul dialect meaning "place of the carpet snake". The Kabi people harvested bush food, fresh water mussels, oysters, fish, and some game animals, moving around the land to take best advantage of seasonally-available produce.
Each year in March, the Kabi people would hold Bunya Festivals to feast on the plentiful and nutritious annual nuts of the Bunya Pine. These huge trees provided a food source which could sustain large numbers of people. Neighbouring clans were invited to the festivals, where singing, dancing story-telling, trading and arranging of marriages took place.
The Caboolture area was first settled in 1842 when the land around the Moreton Bay penal colony was opened up to free settlers. Due to its proximity to Brisbane, Caboolture was one of the first areas of the state opened up to European settlement.
By the mid-1860s the local pastoralists were experimenting with sugar cane and cotton. In 1867, a tiny settlement was established as a supply and trading centre for the settlers in the area and to service the needs of miners trekking from Brisbane to the goldfields near Gympie. The local shire was constituted in 1879 and in 1888 the railway line from Brisbane was opened.
Timber was the principal industry of the area until the 1860s. The valuable red cedar, now very rare in the Shire, provided a good income for the timber getters. The massive logs were rafted down the Caboolture River to Deception Bay, from where they were taken by steamer to Brisbane. Settlers also made good use of the valuable timber, using it wherever possible for houses, barns and even fence posts.
The first crown land sold in the area was auctioned in 1864 for one pound Sterling an acre. Soon, the area had a thriving agricultural industry. The first major crop was sugar cane, then soon wheat, maize and Indian corn were being grown on the river flats. Vegetables were grown for local consumption. After an early unsuccessful foray with a wool industry, damp-susceptible sheep were abandoned in favour of more hardy cattle.
Settlement in Caboolture was accelerated with the discovery of gold atGympie. In 1868, the town was used as a stop-over point by the Cobb and Co coach service connecting Brisbane, Gympie andMaryborough. This function continued with the rail link established in 1888.
Formerly a small dairy town, the location of Caboolture on the corridor between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast resulted in an influx of residents in the 1970s and 1980s. The three main factors in this expansion were the electrification of the railway line to Brisbane, enabling travel to the Brisbane CBD in less than an hour, the development of the Bruce Highway to freeway (motorway) standard, and the availability of cheap land.
In common with many outer areas of Brisbane, the Caboolture Shire Council encouraged the development of low-cost housing areas that were affordable compared to established areas in Brisbane. This policy resulted in estates of small inexpensive houses on small blocks. At the same time, the Council allowed the subdivision of rural land into 'acreage' housing estates consisting of between ¾-acre (3,035 m2) to 2-and-5-acre (8,100 and 20,000 m2) blocks.
Bribie Island , 34 kilometres long and 8 kilometres at its widest, is the smallest and most northerly of three major sand islands forming the coastline sheltering the northern part of Moreton Bay, Queensland. The others are Moreton Island and North Stradbroke Island. Bribie Island, hugging the coastline and tapering to a long spit at its most northern point near Caloundra, is separated from the mainland by the Pumicestone Passage. A bridge from Sandstone Point on the mainland was completed in 1963. The ocean side of the island is somewhat sheltered from prevailing winds by Moreton Island and associated sand banks and has only a small surf break. The lee side is calm, with white sandy beaches in the south.
Most of the island is uninhabited national park (55.8 square kilometres) and forestry plantations. The southern end of the island has been intensively urbanised as part of the Moreton Bay Region, the main suburbs being Bongaree, Woorim, Bellara and Banksia Beach. Buckley's Hole, at the southern tip of the island, is an important bird habitat and refuge.
The inhabitants of Bribie Island at the time they were encountered by Matthew Flinders in H.M. colonial sloop Norfolk in 1799 were broadly part of the 'Kabi' or more correctly Gubbi Gubbi people of South-East Queensland. Colliver and Woolston record the Bribie tribes as being called Djindubari by Tindale and Jindoobarria by Meston.
Meston recorded the pre-contact population of Aboriginal people as 600-1,000, but by 1891 none remained on the Island and only four lived on the mainland.
The comparatively rich coastal country allowed permanent residence. Natural resources of land and sea were abundant and harvested according to the seasons. Winter mullet schooled from May to July. Dolphins were trained to herd the fish into waiting nets and spears. Winter was the best season for bream, followed by tailor in September and October. In summer mud crabs and oysters were plentiful and dugong were hunted. Summer whiting and flathead were speared or netted. Bungwall Fern was gathered for its starchy roots all year round. Kangaroo, eels and carpet snakes were rich in protein and fat. The dominant shellfish used as food was the oyster known today as the Sydney Rock Oyster known locally as tibir, at that time growing naturally on the seabeds. The oyster middens, many metres thick, were plundered by early settlers for lime. A significant midden site, now lost, was located not far from Bongaree jetty. It contained discarded shells, marsupial bones and stone tools. The biggest of the oyster middens was at White Patch, where dugong were also plentiful. The Ugari (pipi) on the coastal beaches was also eaten.
James Cook, 1770
Lieutenant James Cook sighted the Glass House Mountains west of the Island on Thursday 17 May 1770 while sailing up the east coast of Australia in HM Bark Endeavour. He called these hills the Glass Houses as the reflections and the shape of the hills reminded him of the glass manufacturing houses back in England. James Cook named the area Glass House Bay and was the first European to name this stretch of water.
Matthew Flinders, 1799
On 16 July 1799 Captain Matthew Flinders left Glass House Bay about two miles east of the shore in the Norfolk. He sailed south-west between Moreton Island and the mainland parallel to the southern shore of Bribie Island until spotting an opening in the low western shore. He anchored at 8:15am and transferred with a small crew and Bongaree to a smaller craft. He landed on Bribie Island unaware that it wasn't the mainland and met a small group of Aborigines who had gathered on the beach. Although Bongaree didn't speak the same dialect as the local aborigines the meeting was peaceful until one attempted to remove Flinders' hat. Flinders refused and the Europeans and Bongaree returned to their boat. As they left the man who had tried to remove Flinders' hat threw a spear that missed the small boat and crew. Flinders fired his musket at the men on shore and wounded the man who had thrown the spear. The Aborigines fled the beach. Flinders named the southern shore and site of the confrontation Point Skirmish. There is an area on the modern map marked Skirmish Point but should not be confused with the actual place of the incident which is known as South Point.
Flinders needed to repair leaks in his boat and pulled it ashore some five miles north of the area he had the incident with the locals for those repairs. Once his boat was repaired he explored the mainland side of the passage and scaled Mt. Beerburrum to get a view of the area. He spent 15 days in the region.
It was not until some time later it was determined that this was an island and the changing of the name of the waterway between Bribie Island and the mainland was made at some other point.
Bribie in World War II
Bribie Island fortifications were constructed from 1939 to 1943 as part of the defence of South East Queensland during the Second World War, and to provide artillery training for Australian soldiers. Other fortifications throughout Moreton Bay during the war, included at Caloundra, on Moreton Island at Cowan Cowan Point and Rous. Together with the existing installations at Fort Lytton, they provided a coordinated series of defensive batteries for Moreton Bay.
In February 1939, six months before the start of WW2, a review of the defences of Moreton Bay called for two 6 inch Mark XI guns at north Bribie.
Soon after Australia declared war on Germany on 3 September 1939, 6 inch guns previously carried by the World War I-era cruiser HMAS Sydney were taken to the present location of Fort Bribie   to guard the northwest channel, which ran close to the shore near Caloundra, across the bay in a southeasterly direction towards Moreton Island, and then southwesterly towards the mouth of the river, forming a Z-shaped route. The most effective sites for guns were the closest points to the channel bends.
The mounting and placement of the guns was hopelessly inadequate and according to Major General Robert E Jackson, Officer in Charge of Northern Command in July 1940, Fort Bribie was "no value from a defence point of view" and had to be fixed.
Before this could happen an argument about the location broke out, costings being sought for both Bribie and Caloundra. It was argued Caloundra was higher, better equipped and cheaper to build, whereas Bribie was flat, hot, infested with mosquitos and sandflies, had no freshwater, no bridge and would be much more expensive. The decision came down to Fort Bribie's ability to cover both entrances to the northwest channel, while Caloundra could only cover the most northerly entrance. The guns had a range of about 19 kilometres
Colonel J S Whitelaw designed the layout of the fort on Bribie and recommended its completion, receiving the go ahead by early 1942. By April — hastened by the December 1941 attacks by the Japanese forces on Pearl Harbour, Malaya, Hong Kong and Singapore — construction of the gun emplacements was almost complete. The construction cost of all of Fort Bribie's concrete structures was â‚¤55,000, about $2.5 million in 2010 dollars.
On 19 February 1942, Darwin was bombed in two raids killing at least 243 people and wounding between 300 and 400 more. By November 1943 Darwin was bombed 64 times, with other towns also attacked including Townsville. The ferocity and success of the attacks suddenly created a very real dread in the Queensland population.
In July 1942 after failing to take Port Moresby by sea in the Battle of the Coral Sea, the Japanese landed on Papua New Guinea's north coast and moved south, capturing Kokoda on 29 July. This was the first time any Australian territory had been occupied by an enemy force.
Reinforcements were sent to Fort Bribie and Fort Cowan Cowan, strengthening the existing defences at the two forts. A number of 155mm guns from the First World War were provided to upgrade Australian coastal defences, and new forts were constructed during 1942-43 at Skirmish Point on south Bribie Island and Rous on Moreton Island. The Skirmish Point Battery at Woorim contained two fixed 155 mm gun emplacements on Panama mounts.
The Pacific War also brought the Americans soldiers. Brisbane during the Second World War
It was widely believed at the time that the American and Australian armed forces and governments had conspired on a plan to abandon Australia north of Brisbane to the Japanese in case of invasion. The plan, known as the Brisbane Line was never official policy, but the alleged strategy gained support after General Douglas MacArthur referred to it during a press conference in March 1943, where he also coined the term 'Brisbane Line'.
Many historians of the WW2 period on Bribie island refer to Brisbane Line and draw it from Fort Bribie due west to Charleville, then south-west to a point just west of Adelaide, as recounted by Warwick Outram in Bribie Memories 2nd edition 2009 ISBN 978-0-9751971-4-1. George H. Johnston, War Correspondent for the Argus newspaper was present when MacArthur mentioned the Brisbane Line on 16 March 1943, but later clarified the matter by writing It was Gen. MacArthur who abandoned the Brisbane Line concept and decided that the battle for Australia should be fought in New Guinea.
At Fort Bribie itself, two mine control huts were used by Royal Australian Navy during 1942 and 1943, known as RAN 2. These monitored and controlled the guard indicator loops and mine loops set in the North West Channel. The indicator loops relied on a moving magnet or any large mass of metal, which naturally acquires magnetic field, to induce a current in a stationary loop of wire. If a submarine was detected by the guard loop, the operator would wait until there was also a swing mine loop before detonating the mines by sending a current down the mine loop.  RAN 2 was moved to Cowan Cowan on Moreton Island in September 1943. When the mines in Moreton Bay were decommission at the end of the war, six were missing. One was found at Tewantin in 1945
The mines weighed 1430 kg and were buoyant, so needed to be moored with sinkers, up to 25 metres below the surface. Every 5 minutes hour perturbations due to the tides known as perts had to be recorded. Daily and weekly tests were carried out on all equipment. In three years of operation, the mines were never detonated
Another minefield with guard loop built in 1942 protected Pearl Channel and Main Channel south of Bribie Island. The guard loops ran from the Loop Control Hut at the end of North Street, just north of Woorim to Combouyuro Point, Moreton Island. Three Harbour Defence Asdics, sea-bed mounted submarine detection devices now known as sonar, were position down-channel from the guard loops, as a second means of detection.
Moreton Island is the third largest sand island in the world, located on the eastern side of Moreton Bay, on the coast of south-east Queensland, Australia. Moreton Island lies 58 kilometres (36 mi) northeast of the Queensland capital, Brisbane. The island is 95% National Park and a popular destination for day trippers, four wheel driving, camping, recreational angling and whale watching and just a 75 minute ferry ride from Brisbane. Together with Fraser Island, Moreton Island forms the largest sand structure in the world.
The island was named by Matthew Flinders. At least five lighthouses have been built on the island. A small number of residents live in four small settlements. Tangalooma was the site of a whaling station. Access to the island is by vehicular barge or passenger ferry services. Moreton Island is a popular destination for camping and fishing.
It is one of the wettest parts of the City of Brisbane with precipitation spread evenly throughout the year compared to other parts of South East Queensland. Cape Moreton receives an annual average rainfall of 1,567 mm.
Moreton Island is the traditional home of the Morrgunpin people. The islands contains numerous shell middens, indicating Aboriginal occupation of the island for at least 2000 years. While James Cook named the main headland on the island Cape Moreton on the 17 May 1770, it was Matthew Flinders who, on 31 July 1799, named the island. Castaways Thomas Pamphlett, John Finnegan and Richard Parsons traversed the island in March and April 1823 before heading to the mainland via Stradbroke Island. European residents settled on the island in 1848, after the Sovereign shipwrecked on the island and a pilot station was established at Bulwer. This pilot station was operated until 1909. The clipper Young Australia was wrecked on Moreton Island in 1872.
Cape Moreton Light , Queensland's oldest lighthouse
At Cape Moreton is Queensland's oldest lighthouse,Cape Moreton Light, which was first lit in 1857. The lighthouse was followed by at least four other lighthouse erected since the 1860s, at Comboyuro Point, North Point, Cowan Cowan Point and Yellow Patch. During World War II, a number of defence installations were installed on the island by the Royal Australian Navy and Australian Army. These sites included anti aircraft guns and mine control buildings. Their purpose was to protect the approaches to the port of Brisbane and at its peak 900 troops were stationed on the island.
Between 1952 and 1962, Tangalooma, on the western side of the island, was the site of Queensland's only whaling station, with humpback whales being harvested on their annual migration north. Each season up to 600 whales were processed with a maximum of 11 whales per day. The site of the whaling station is now theTangalooma Wild Dolphin Resort. The flensing plan of the station still exists as part of the resort.
Moreton Island was included in the Greater Brisbane area in 1974.  The council initially permitted 60% of the island to potentially be sandmined, however a public outcry lead to the council changing the zoning to open space. The sands on the island contain rutile and zircon. The Queensland Government, led by Joh Bjelke-Petersen supported sandmining on the island and established the Cook Inquiry which produced a report recommending that 94% of the island be banned from mining.  Despite this more mining licenses were granted until 1984 when the Federal government announced it would decline export licenses for the island's mineral sands. In 1989, then Premier of Queensland, Wayne Goss halted mining of the island and compensated the companies involved.
A salt-water lagoon on the island was used as a temporary home to adugong called Pig. Pig was the youngest dugong ever successfully reared in captivity. The dugong was placed in the lagoon to increase its natural instincts before being released into the wild.
Maleny is a small, scenic town 90 kilometres (56 mi) north of Brisbane on theBlackall Range overlooking theSunshine Coast hinterland inQueensland,Australia. Nearby towns includeLandsborough,Montville,Peachester,Palmwoods andHunchy. Nearby places of geographical significance include theGlass House Mountains and Baroon Pocket Dam. The town hosts the Maleny Wood Expo From Chainsaw to Fine Furniture each year, hosted by Barung Landcare and showcases the regions finest wood artisans.
The area around Maleny was originally populated by two aboriginal groups, the Nalbo people and the Dallambara group. The area was known for its bunya feasts which happened every third year when the giant bunya tree was in fruit.
The first European to document Maleny was the explorer Ludwig Leichhardt who describes the area in his travel diary in 1844. The first European settlement followed in the wake of the Gympie gold rush of 1867. A track linking Maleny to Landsborough was cut in 1880.
An official proclamation of Maleny as a town occurred in 1891. The Maleny Butter Factory began operation in 1904. Maleny was a timber town until the early 1920s and then was a centre of dairy production and fruit growing. Although a campaign to have a police station in the town was started in the 1920s it wasn't until 1952 that permission to convert a house into the current police station and residence was granted.
For one hundred years, the Maleny Community Centre has provided facilities to residents and visitors for a wide range of activities.  Located in the middle of town, the original centre was established just after the turn of the 20th century, the result of a gift by one of its residents
Montville is a small town in the Sunshine Coast hinterland, on the Blackall Range inQueensland,Australia, around 400 metres above sea level. At the 2011 census, Montville and the surrounding area had a population of 886.
The first white settlers arrived in the area in 1887 and the town was later named by Henry Smith (who
Montville was predominantly a logging then farming community (dairy, citrus, avocados, pineapples and macadamia nuts) until a tourism boom which commenced during the 1970s, taking advantage of the scenic views of the Sunshine Coast
The town is now a popular short break tourist destination for the people of Brisbane and is famous for its parks and walks including the Sunshine Coast Hinterland Great Walk . Popular attractions include galleries, restaurants, wineries, cheese factories and craft and clothing shops. The world-renownedAustralia Zoo is a 20 minute drive down the range at nearby Beerwah. Montville is becoming a very popular location for destination weddings at its many resorts, b&bs, wineries and restaurants.
There are many places to stay in and around Montville, with accommodation ranging from private cottages to family style units and suites.
Peachester was named when the town was surveyed in 1888 and it is thought that the name refers to peach trees which were growing at the river crossing. A public hall was built at the town in 1889, and was home to the Peachester school when it started in 1892. Early industries included dairying, timber felling for Grigor's sawmill and a case factory for fruit growers in the 1920's and post World War Two years.
Between the 1930s and 1950s, Peachester was known as the home of Inigo Jones, the long range weather forecaster.
Thanks to Wikipedia ( www.wikipeida.com.au ) Moreton Bay Regional Council ( www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au ) and Redcliffe Seaside Village ( www.redcliffeseasidevillage.com.au ) for the information on these pages.